Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Having to Cut Back do to Loss of Income

So out of the gate I want to say in a three month time my income has dropped by over 33%. Ouch. To give you a bigger picture I need to go back a few years. A year and a half ago, three years on my current job I ask for a raise and got one. We got busy, started new projects and I was making much more than I thought I would and it was good and it was hard. Hard because I had no time to keep up with anything else and my personal life and self care was suffering. We started to eat out more, I was buying more supplements to help with my auto immune issues, and buying prepackaged foods and driving a lot more.
Three years ago around 2016 I said "yes" to getting married and move from my house in town to a 40 acre ranch with my now husband. I also decided to close part of my business, a yoga school I had owned at the time for 8 years. That school was highly successful and was most of my income but it along with all I had to do for it was keeping me working 28 days a month. Now you may be thinking oh so you married a rich guy and he helps with your finances.  Nope. My now husband was broke when we met. With my help and business sense and his great skills and knowledge we built his small company which was simply "side work" into a successful business that makes more than our day jobs together now. However, I do not take any money from that business, we use all the profits to fund the ranch, retirement, and pay the house down. I pay half of all the house hold bills and food, etc... So a down turn is scary even though we are prepared.
When I decided to close the school I chose to save a years worth of income and pay off my only debt my car. So I decided to do that and I did. I retired in May of this year, with a years worth of income, no debt and a decision to take a leap.  With my savings and some help from the hubby we invested a large portion of that savings into cash flowing a cabin for vacation rental.

Now due to some issues that have more to do with holidays, insurance and some things I cannot speak about due to privacy working in the medical field,  we are in a brief slow down. We expect to pick back up after the holidays but for now my income has dropped to about 40% of what I was making when I had the school. So regardless of savings and lower debt I have to cut back on spending. I've always been frugal and so I'm not a huge spender but when money is flowing in I'm more likely to take that course, buy that book, pick up something for myself or the house or the kids. Here are some ideas  from my life that may be new to you and I sharing with you helps me process in my mind.

1. Free Education: I was literally registered for a course and it was sitting in my in box ready to pay the $295 fee when I found out that my income would drop even more yesterday. I decided to go online to my local library and find as much free info on the subject as possible instead.
2. Food: We did have a date night out last night and we chose to drink water, no appetizers or desserts. This is a nice restaurant but my husband got a small meal because we were going to a movie and he wanted popcorn. The bill was only $20. without appetizers and wine it cut our bill in half.  On groceries we had spent quite a bit over the past three weeks. I've been only picking up a small amount to fill in and avoiding a large grocery haul. This week I'll meal plan around the pantry to cut expenses even more. Keeping our food bill to $125 a week and toiletries or $500 a month or less.
3. Transportation: I will not have to drive to work but three days a week next month, saving 120 miles off each week. This will save me four gallons of gas each day for a total of about $80 a month. Also being at home I tend to stay at home and cook and clean and organize. It gives me time to optimize my life.
4. Gifts: It's the Holidays! - I told all my grown children I was giving them money and stockings this year. I usually have a $100 budget and go way over. So this year I'm giving them all $100 and I'm making them each a photo album of pictures from their childhood. I'll fill the stockings with little things they like and this should save me about $400. I've ask my parents and friends not to exchange gifts.
5. Decor: So normally this is not a concern, I can do without but we are in the midst of outfitting our first Air B and B so I had to decorate. I have been trying to think what I have that will work and not over buy. I've also been shopping for deals. I don't shop. I don't like to shop but I've been going to several stores and comparing prices before I make a decision. This has saved me a lot of money. I saved about $60 on a rug, another $40 on an electric fireplace, on the furniture I bartered a table for a couch and recliner. This probably saved me $500. I'm not looking for a table and chairs and then using what I have until the cabin turns a profit.
6. Clothing: I need some clothing. I will likely make do and make some outfits of what I have. I may order some more leggings and shop at resales shops. If I do this I will give myself a budget and I've been selling my clothes to buy new things. I got two sweaters the other day with my credit plus $6. I will likely not spend more than $50 on clothes the rest of this year until my income increases.
7. Housing: So we have a fixed mortgage but I pay extra on it. That will stop for now and we will pay the bill. When work picks up Jim will pay extra on it.
8. Discretionary Spending: With this most of the time I optimize. If we want a bottle of wine for the holiday it might be a cheaper bottle. Or we will do without. I will shop for small inexpensive options or go without. We will focus on needs versus wants and though I still like to be generous I will think before we buy. For instance we host a big breakfast for Christmas for about 20 people.  I'll offer maybe 5 items rather than 7. I'll simplify it so to speak and I really don't think anyone will even notice.
9. TIME: I will make a list of things that take time but not money. Organizing my house, cleaning things out and taking them to the auction for sale. Selling stuff I don't need. Cleaning out the storage building so we can let go of that bill of $120. I'll be able to save more because I will have time to sell things, to reduce bills, to optimize. I will make use of Holiday movies for free, time around the fireplace, long walks on warmer days and attending free events. I'll go to free yoga classes that I have bartered for that I often don't have time for. When you are dollar poor and time rich with a little savvy thinking you can have a richer life, it simply takes a change in perspective.

If these are helpful to you please share and share your ideas as well.







No comments:

Post a Comment