Monday, November 18, 2019

Holiday Expenses and Ideas for Saving


This time of year I get excited with the thought of having all of my kids together and visiting with family and friends. Most of the things I think about do not involve gifts however, I do really enjoy watching people open gifts. Not necessarily what I give them but just the opening and seeing the surprise. This time of year also gives me some amount of dread of expectations and doubt.
My dad and step mom have agreed to no gift giving between adults (not adult children, the grandchildren but between me and my husband and them). This makes it easy. My mom only has me and the grand kids and I've asked her this year to keep it to $30. She is on a fixed budget and it would only give me guilt if she spent a lot of money on me. Now I have a slew of friends, relatives and coworkers and I always have this feeling I am going to forget someone and hurt someone's feelings. I'm not a shopper but I like to give gifts. I am frugal but not cheap so I like to get gifts at a good price but the crowds and consumption wear me out. So this year I am posting this to share with loved ones about buying us gifts and about gift giving.
I am a bit of a minimalist and don't have a lot of decorations up. I don't put pictures on the walls because we have really expensive ship lap that you can't fill. Also I don't want to dust! I would prefer no one gave me decorations of any kind so I don't feel obligated to put them out. This also included decorations of the body because I have sensory issues with clothes and jewelry. It's such a nice gesture and so sweet and sometimes it works for me. I have a few pieces that friends have given me that I love but more often than not the weight of jewelry is to much for my sensory issues. Things that are stuffed or furry often aggravate my asthma so that is a challenge for me though I love a good teddy bear squeeze. I can't have the dust mites that occur over time so they end up in the cedar chest. Even writing this makes me feel guilty and somewhat ashamed because I would never want to hurt anyone's feelings. 
I also think of these things when buying others gifts and so here are some ideas I have for saving money and not putting pressure on anyone to display something I have given them. 



1. Be frank with your significant other about what you want or get a partnered gift or a vacation or something. This is one area after the beginning of a relationship you should be able to talk about. My husband buys my face cream ($100) this one time a year and if I need perfume ($60) this is when I get it. 
2. Consumables: Make sure the recipient likes these things. My son often gets Starbucks cards and he literally never goes there. Things you can use up like coffee, tea, candles, food items, notebooks, journals, pens, pencils, scrubs or bath salts, fancy soaps, olive oil, chocolates, fun drinks, gums, makeup like mascaras or lip gloss, candies, hair products, nail products, and homemade food gifts. One year my mom made quiches for everyone and we delivered them. I loved it!  
3. Gift Certificates: Again make sure the recipient will utilize, Car Washes, Movies, Coffee Houses, Restaurants, Massages, Hot Springs (I live where this is a thing) and anything else you know your loved one or friend will enjoy. 
4. Useful items that you know someone will use. Comfy socks, hankies, items that people actually ask for. For instance my husband is a hunter so I know he will use up Hot Hands, warm socks, and anything camping or camouflage that he needs of course. 
5. Money. It's not personal but this year I am really considering it. One son will be traveling by air and the last thing I want to give him is stuff he can't get back on a plane. I'm planning on giving the kids a little money, one gift and their stockings full of consumables.
6. Experiences: Take a vacation, go to the movies, have a potluck, do an activity together. Maybe those who can pay chip in and pay and those who can't get it covered. I don't like to be out in the cold but going to look at Christmas lights while sipping something hot is always nice. Watching funny movies, having a potluck party and ugly Christmas Sweater party is fun. Assuming your celebrating Christmas.
7. Helping someone out that is less fortunate that you with a meal, warm socks, mittens, hats and things they need but can't afford. Do this as a group and it's always nice.
8. Ask if there is a book they want and buy that.

Lets talk about eating. Here are some ideas.
1. Pick a few things and make only those. Make a meal plan and stick to it. We always go over board so this year I am picking about 5 things for Christmas morning and that is what we are having.
2. Potluck. Those who can't cook bring drinks, ice, and rolls.
3. Split the responsibilities. My dad and step mom do Thanksgiving, I am in charge of Christmas Eve and we do Christmas breakfast.


What ideas do you have? Please share.

Happy Holidays!
Love,
Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment