Thursday, February 9, 2017

Growing up even when you are a grown up. Thoughts on work.

A few words inspired by watching my young adult children come of age.

Just a few things I want to share with my children (and anyone else that cares to read them) that I am often learning myself (I'll point those little mirrors out).

1. Never quit one job without having another lined up.
2. Know that you have to work the yuck jobs before you move up the ladder. Your boss didn't start out a boss, he or she probably scrubbed a toilet before they were a boss. You have to earn it.
3. Take pride in your work. If you have to scrub a toilet make it the shiniest cleanest toilet in town, then go take a nice hot super soapy shower!
4. Work with a smile.
5. Be kind to everyone where you work.
6. No job is beneath you. I've changed adult diapers, while I was pregnant, working, and going to college and I appreciated the heck out of knowing I was helping that person have some dignity and live a better life.
7. Don't put all your self worth altogether in your work (This is the one I am reflecting on myself). It's great to take pride in your work, this is good. It's good to be proud of yourself for being independent but at the end of the day know that your character not your titles in life define who you are. This will help you when you have to work a job you don't want to just to pay the bills.
8. There is great pride in providing for your family or supporting yourself. Even if your working a job you don't feel like feeds your ego, knowing you work hard and provide for yourself should give you pride weather you are a maintenance person or the Supreme Court Judge.
9. It feels really good to know you can take care of yourself. I've worked two jobs most of my life in some form or another. It always made me feel good to know I could go out and get a job and provide for myself. I never doubted that I could get a job. I doubted it might be a great paying, prestigious job but I knew that as long as I could work I would have some sort of security. There is power in this.
10. If you need to find another job be tenacious and always make connections with people who know you. Often times work is found not by putting in applications but by who you know. Letting people know you are looking for a job is a great way to find a job. Not everything is advertised.
11. If you are unhappy make a change. Working all kinds of jobs helps you know what you like and don't like. What you are good at and what you are not good at. I was a horrible waitress (I don't multitask well). Found that one out and will check off my potential list. I'm great at personal sales, marketing and event organization. Found the later out by doing it for a living and as a volunteer. Everything you do will teach you something.




No comments:

Post a Comment